Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Carolyn Jessop lecture






I was so excited to hear about this, last week I found out that Carolyn Jessop, a former FLDS member from Colorado City, she wrote a book about her escape from the community. It is one of the most interesting reads. I was so facinated by her strength through her trials and to basically find out about life inside the compound. She spoke tonight at Westminter College in SLC, and myself, Pam, my mom, and Mer went down. We loved her talk.
I am not a big reader, at all. But when Jon and I went on our honeymoon last year, I borrowed this book from a friend and could not put ot down. So I got to meet her after the lecture, she signed my book, and when she was signing it, I told her a personal story.
"Carolyn", I said. " I just wanted to let you know that I got married last summer, and you came on my honeymoon with me." She looked perplexed, I said myself and your wonderful book spent many long hours by the pool." She laughed, and said she hoped the book was ok. I thanked her for her sharing her story with us, and making us aware of what she went through and the life that goes on there.
Here are a few pics of tonight. I decided to share this with everyone, because it is a great book, and her struggle that she went through, was unbelievable.
My favorite thing she said tonight, was someone asked towards the end, "Are you apart of a religion now?" She answered that she wasn't, she really didn't have a place in organized religion anymore, but that she still believed in a higher power. Carolyn said, "I believe, that night I escaped, that a higher power, God made all of the doors open at the right time. Even though I was taught to believe the world out there was wicked and people who tried to escape were evil and of the devil. He made that night possible, and had a hand in making it work." I was so impressed, that I had to share that.

No comments: